Sweet and creamy, hot and buttery, crunchy and nutty...an irresistible blend of flavors makes this the world's best sweet potato casserole. And no marshmallows!
Win Over the Sweet Potato Critics
Every holiday season I bring this dish to potluck dinners and inevitably I get the "Eww, I don't like sweet potatoes" comment. I respond "I don't either," and then verbally spar back and forth attempting to persuade the offended party to just try it. Finally, just to shut me up they will take a spoonful. And then another. And then another!
Oh, this sweet potato casserole is SO GOOD, whether or not you like sweet potatoes. It has been in my family for a bajillion years exclusively as a November/December dish. It doesn't contain marshmallows, which many of the popular sweet potato dishes do. Personally I'm not a huge fan of marshmallows, which is another reason I prefer this version.
Ultra Easy To Prepare
This is the kind of dish that tastes like you worked hard making it when you didn't. The key is to cook your sweet potatoes properly. Find 3 large sweet potatoes in good condition. Peel them with a potato peeler, then cube them into 1 inch cubes. Place them in a large pot of boiling water without anything added to it. Boil the potatoes for about 40 minutes, until they are very tender when a fork is inserted into them.
When potatoes are done boiling, drain in a colander and let them cool for about 20 minutes. Transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add all the casserole ingredients, then mix with an electric mixer on medium-high until fully blended and smooth. I use a stand mixer with a wire whip attachment, but a hand mixer works just as well for this.
When mixing is complete, transfer to a greased casserole dish. Mix up the topping in a small mixing bowl. I use a fork to mix the flour, brown sugar and pecans pieces together. Then cut the butter in with a knife until it looks like small crumbles, and sprinkle it over the sweet potato casserole. Bake it for 45 minutes, and you've got a gorgeous side dish ready to serve!
Looking for other holiday-friendly side dishes? Try our broccoli and cheese casserole with buttery cracker topping, farfel garlic egg noodles, and peach-pineapple-cherry hot fruit compote.
World's Best Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups plain mashed sweet potatoes About 3 large sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth. Place in the greased casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until top of casserole is golden brown. Serve immediately.