Fudgy dark chocolate brownies are a chocolate lovers dream! With their rich, decadent flavor and moist, chewy texture, this sweet treat is the ultimate indulgence!
Better Than Box-Mix Brownies
Oh how you'll love these, because you don't need to wait for butter to soften, and you mix it all in one bowl! Why use a box mix when brownies taste better AND are quick and easy from scratch? Granted, there are some great tasting box-mix brownies out there, but I just looked at the ingredients on a popular box mix and we just don't need all those additives. So let's make some brownies the 1950's way!
Ingredients for Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies
You probably have everything you need in your kitchen for these brownies right now! If you don't have cocoa powder, invest in a good quality one for the richest taste. I win rave reviews when I use the Guittard Cocoa Rouge, but the Ghirardelli Cocoa or Ghirardelli Majestic Cocoa are also excellent choices. Honestly, you can use any cocoa and nobody is going to complain!
Hints for Making Perfect Brownies
- Make sure your cocoa powder is unsweetened. You are adding your own sugar to sweeten the brownies.
- Use all purpose flour and not self-rising flour. You will add your own baking soda to the mix.
- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips for the best flavor. Milk chocolate chips will not give it the dark chocolate flavor.
- Use a plain vegetable oil or canola oil. Using olive oil or other oils that have flavor can affect the taste of the brownies.
- Use an 8 x 8 baking dish lined in parchment paper for best results. This recipe was not designed for a larger pan.
- Test brownies by inserting a toothpick in the center. The toothpick should only have a few crumbs attached to it.
- Allow brownies to cool at least 2 hours before cutting. Otherwise they will tear and be gooey. Brownies will firm up the longer they cool.
Have a comment or a vintage recipe you'd like to share? We'd love to hear from you! Please rate, comment, or send me an email at [email protected]!
Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch metal pan with non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper, and grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place butter and sugar in a microwave safe bowl and heat for approximately 1 minute, until butter is melted, then stir.
- Stir in the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix in the cocoa powder until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt just until combined. Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread brownie batter into your lined pan; batter will be very thick. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Do not overtake Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.
- You can double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 pan for approximately 30 minutes.
- Store brownies in an airtight container for up to 3 days. No need to refrigerate.