This Banana Nut Bread is just right to go with your morning coffee or for a sweet treat after dinner. It has just the right balance of bananas, sweetness and nuts -- and it's so easy to make!
I was flipping through my friend's recipes when this one caught my eye -- a mid century recipe card that her Aunt Helen wrote for banana nut bread. I love to make quick breads -- they're so easy because they don't require kneading or rising; they use baking powder or baking soda for leavening rather than yeast. And they are versatile because they can be eaten for breakfast or dessert.
Spice it Up!
I think this recipe is delicious as it is, but you can certainly spice it up and bring in more flavors. Try adding ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg with the flour, baking soda and salt. Do you want a flavor explosion? Okay, you can also add ¼ teaspoon of cloves and a teaspoon of vanilla. Now you'll have a wonderfully spicy banana nut bread! I prefer a milder taste in the summer, and a spicy bread in the fall/winter.
Tips For Making Banana Nut Bread
This bread is easy to make but there are a few rules you should follow when making it:
- Plan ahead -- you need to use very ripe, soft bananas for this recipe. You usually don't find them terribly ripe in the grocery store, so if you're planning to make banana bread, buy your bananas a couple of days in advance and allow them to get very ripe. Or, if you find you have overly ripe bananas on accident, it's a good excuse to make banana bread!
- Let your butter and eggs come to room temperature before mixing. This allows for easier blending and lower baking time.
- Use a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. If you use another size pan, the baking time will vary.
Do you love quick breads? Also try our amazing Hollywood Monastery Pumpkin Bread recipe.Print
3 very ripe large bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup sugar
8 tablespoons butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Mash bananas with 1 tablespoon of milk in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat eggs, then mix in with butter and sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to bowl, and mix just until fully combined.
- Add in the bananas and mix until fully incorporated into the batter.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts, then pour into greased 9 x 5" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees 55-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Use a 9" x 5" pan or the baking time may vary
If you want to add spices, try adding any combination (or all) of the following to the batter: 1 teaspoon vanilla, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon cloves
Keywords: Banana Walnut Bread, Banana Quick Bread, Quick Breads, Spicy Banana Nut Bread, Old fashioned banana bread