This creamy broccoli and cheddar jack cheese quiche is a delicious, protein rich meal in a dish. Quick and easy to prepare, it makes a great meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Most people do their entertaining at dinner, but I enjoy having people over for brunch. And when I do, quiche is always one of the items on the menu. It's easy to make in advance, refrigerates and re-heats well, tastes delicious, and never fails to impress!
What is Quiche?
Quiche is an egg and cream based dish baked in a light and flaky crust. The recipe originated in Germany and has been around for a few hundred years. It became popular in the United States in the 1950's, after soldiers brought the traditional egg, cheese, and bacon Quiche Lorraine recipe back from Europe.
Over time, variations of the recipe developed, and by the 1970's quiche recipes varied from restaurant to restaurant. Home cooks liked making it because it was an easy, economical casserole-style meal that came together quickly and could be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This recipe combines chopped broccoli, cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheese for a rich, creamy, mild tasting vegetable quiche.
Broccoli and Cheddar Jack Cheese Quiche Ingredients
You'll need the following ingredients to prepare broccoli and cheddar jack cheese quiche:
- 2 cups broccoli florets (I buy about 12-14 oz. at the grocery store)
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Nine inch prepared pie crust
I prefer to bake my own crust for quiche, but to save time you can use a refrigerated pie crust or a frozen prepared pie crust. Just make sure you purchase a crust made of pastry dough and not graham crackers!
Just 4 Easy Steps For Making Broccoli and Cheese Quiche
- Cook broccoli florets in water until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Cool, drain, and chop into small pieces.
- Stir together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper.
- Mix in broccoli, cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust and bake about 45 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Other Items To Add to Quiche
If you'd like to add further flavor and texture to your quiche, feel free to add in your own favorite ingredients. Some ideas include:
- chopped yellow or white onion
- chopped bell pepper
- sautéed mushrooms
- cooked cubed ham
- cooked chopped bacon
- chopped green onions
You can add in up to 1 cup of additional items to the broccoli in any combination. I usually add items in ¼ - ½ cup increments so as not to overpower the taste with any one item.
Hints for Delicious Quiche
- Refrigerate your pie crust for at least 30 minutes after it's rolled out and placed in the dish, and before adding the filling. Pie crust needs to be very cold when the filling is added or it will shrink while baking.
- Grate your own cheese for the freshest taste. It only takes a couple of minutes using a box grater (pictured in the ingredients photo above.) Personally, I don't care for the preservatives and waxy coating added to shredded cheeses to prevent them from clumping while in the package, so I always grate my own cheese.
- Dry the broccoli throughly before you add it to the bowl with the eggs to avoid having soggy quiche. If you are adding in other vegetables such as onions or mushrooms, make sure those are also throughly dried after rinsing.
- Keep an eye on the quiche crust while it's in the oven to avoid burning. If it's getting too brown, cover the edges with a crust protector or some foil.
Looking for more quiche recipes? Check out our delicious Bacon and Asparagus Quiche for a delicious alternative.
If you have a vintage recipe you'd like share with us for possible publication, please scan it and email it to [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you!Print
This creamy broccoli and cheddar jack cheese quiche is a delicious, protein rich meal in a dish. It is quick and easy to prepare and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
2 cups broccoli florets
¾ cup whole milk
¼ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
nine-inch prepared pie crust
- Put broccoli florets in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat, cover, and simmer for 4 minutes until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water and drain. When fully drained, pat with paper towels to remove any remaining water. Chop broccoli and set aside.
- Stir together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper until throughly combined.
- Add chopped broccoli, cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and bake at 375 approximately 45 minutes or until crust and egg mixture are golden and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Start checking the quiche after 20 minutes to ensure the crust is not getting too brown. If it is, cover the crust only with a crust protector or pieces of foil.
Add in ¼ - ½ cup of any of the following for extra flavor: chopped onion, cooked bacon, cooked cubed ham, chopped bell pepper, sautéed mushrooms.
Keywords: French breakfast, brunch casserole, mid century breakfast, breakfast egg recipe, holiday breakfast recipe, holiday brunch recipe