These light, fluffy mashed potato pancakes are a crispy alternative to hash browns as a side to your southern breakfast.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups mashed potatoes (generally 2 large or 3 medium russet potatoes - leftovers work great)
2 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour oil in skillet and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix mashed potatoes, egg and green onion in a mixing bowl, reserving a few green onion pieces to sprinkle on top for serving.
- Mix with your hands until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Scoop out potatoes with a tablespoon, drop into skillet, and flatten with spatula. Cook first side until crispy brown--about 3-5 minutes, then flip once and cook the other side another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve immediately.
Modern Twist: You can make cheesy potato pancakes by adding 1/4 cup of shredded cheese while mixing
Serve with sour cream, ketchup or hot sauce if desired
Keywords: Mashed Potatoes, latkes, Potato Pancake, Breakfast Side Dish, potato side dish, hash browns