A smooth and creamy homemade baked macaroni and cheese that's ready in about 25 minutes!
1 cup elbow macaroni
1/2 cup milk
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup crushed (1 small sleeve) Ritz crackers, or Panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cook macaroni to al dente; drain.
- While macaroni is cooking, bring milk to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and add cheese, stirring constantly until cheese is fully melted.
- Mix in salt and pepper.
- Put drained noodles in 1-1/2 quart greased casserole dish. Add cheese sauce on top.
- Melt butter and mix with crushed crackers. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
You can double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13 pan.
Store tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
To store in freezer, cool completely for 1 hour, then place in airtight container and store up to 2 months.
Keywords: Mac and cheese, baked Mac and cheese, vintage Mac and cheese, 1950's Mac and cheese, 1960's Mac and cheese