Mexican Lasagna features savory ground beef, beans, and melted cheese in between layers of flavorful corn tortillas.
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 - 24 oz. jar picante sauce (I use medium, choose the heat level you prefer)
1 - 15 oz. can chili beans, undrained
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups (24 oz.) cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
12 - 6-inch (small) corn tortillas
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 bunch thinly sliced green onions (optional)
sliced black olives (optional)
sliced avocado (optional)
sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is browned and onion is tender. Drain fat.
- Stir in picante sauce, beans, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg.
- Spread 1/3 of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9 in pan.
- Top with half the Monterey Jack cheese, then half the cottage cheese mixture, then six tortillas.
- Repeat layers, ending with meat.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes until cheese has melted and juices are bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with your choice of toppings.
Keywords: Taco casserole, Tortilla Casserole, cheesy taco casserole, Tex Mex Dinner, Mexican Casserole, Southwest Casserole