A tried and true classic cocktail that came into it's own during the mid-century era.
2 oz Bourbon
1 oz vermouth
3 dashes bitters
1-2 maraschino cherries
- Fill your cocktail mixer with a couple of generous scoops of crushed ice.
- Pour in the bourbon and vermouth.
- Add the dashes of bitters.
- Mix thoroughly with a long handled bar spoon.
- Using a bar strainer, pour into a coupe glass.
A nice variation is an ounce and a half of Bourbon and a half ounce of cognac rather than 2 full ounces of Bourbon.
Try other bitters such as black walnut or orange. One substitution can change the whole vibe of the drink. It may not technically be a "Manhattan," but that's okay!
Keywords: Mid century cocktails, rat pack cocktails, madmen cocktails, 1960's cocktails, 1950's cocktails, bourbon, vermouth, bitters, rye