Farfel Garlic Egg Noodles are a delicious side dish to meat entrees, and are a must-have on a holiday buffet. Easy to make ahead and keep warm in a crock pot until serving.
1 Box acini di pepe pasta
16 tablespoons butter
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 - 6.5 oz. can of sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste, if necessary
1. Prepare noodles in salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water.
2. Grease casserole dish with butter and set aside.
3. Mince garlic cloves and chop mushrooms as finely as possible.
4. Melt butter over low heat in a large skillet. Add minced garlic, mushrooms and one teaspoon of salt to melted butter and cook on low heat, stirring constantly for one minute.
5. Place drained noodles in a large bowl and pour garlic/mushroom/butter/salt mixture over the top; mix thoroughly.
6. Put noodles in casserole dish greased with butter. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to allow the flavors to set in.
7. Before serving, bake in a covered casserole dish at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
If you want to make this dish ahead and keep it warm in a crockpot, after noodles are combined with butter mixture put them into the crockpot. Set crockpot on the lowest setting and stir noodles frequently so they don't burn or stick to the bottom.
If you're using minced garlic from a jar, use 2 - 1/2 teaspoons.
After mixing the butter mixture into the noodles, taste for salt and add more to your liking. Noodles absorb a lot of salt. It may need 2 or more teaspoons.
Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
Keywords: Farfel, Garlic Noodles, Jewish side dish, Side dish, Holiday dish, holiday side dish, vegetarian side dish, 5 ingredients, Thanksgiving side dish, Christmas side dish