This hearty, delicious, family-pleasing soup is so easy to make in either a pot on the stovetop or in the crockpot.
2 lbs. ground sweet Italian sausage
1 large yellow onion, cut into large diced cubes
2 carrots, peeled then sliced or diced into small pieces
4 cloves minced fresh garlic, or 2 tsp. minced garlic in jar
1 carton (32 oz.) low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
6 lasagna noodles, broken into 1-inch pieces
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup cubed, low-moisture/part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
chopped fresh basil for topping and/or garnish
- Brown Italian sausage in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. When meat is no longer pink, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to a 6 quart pot, reserving the cooking juices in the skillet.
- Add the diced onion and carrots to the same skillet and cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, cook one minute longer. Add the onion, carrots and garlic with the cooking juices into the pot with the meat.
- Pour in the chicken broth and tomato sauce; mix in the Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Using a food processor or immersion blender, pulse the stewed tomatoes 3-4 times until broken into bite-sized chunks. Add to the meat mixture.
- Bring ingredients in pot to a boil, turn down to low and cover. Simmer, stirring periodically, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach and lasagna noodles. Continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, place 8-10 pieces of cubed mozzarella in the bottom of a serving bowl. Ladle soup on mozzarella, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Serve with garlic bread or a hot loaf of bread and butter.
Crock Pot Instructions:
- Follow steps 1-4 above, adding the ingredients to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Set crock pot on low and cover; cook for 4-5 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, toss in spinach and lasagna noodles.
- Place 8-10 pieces of cubed mozzarella to a serving bowl. Ladle soup over mozzarella, top with freshly grated parmesan and sprinkle with chopped basil.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a side salad and garlic bread, or a hot loaf of bread and butter
Keywords: Italian soup, lasagna, Italian stew, Italian sausage, dinner soup