2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 4 x 2 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl beat egg, orange juice and orange zest.
- Add juice mixture to dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Fold in cranberries. If you are adding nuts, fold them in at the same time.
- Transfer to a greased 8 x 4 x 2 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
For extra fresh taste, hand squeeze your orange juice
You can substitute pecans in place of walnuts if you prefer
Keywords: Quick breads, holiday breads, holiday food gifts, Christmas breakfast food, Thanksgiving breakfast food, Holiday desserts