3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups cups shortening
2-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cups cold butter which has been out at room temperature for 15 minutes
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 cup milk
7 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add butter and beat 1-2 minutes until creamy.
- Add 5 eggs and beat on medium-low 1-2 minutes until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture, coconut extract and milk, and mix on low just until fully combined.
- Fold in shredded coconut. Pour batter into two 1-pound loaf pans.
- Place in cold oven, turn it on to 325 degrees, and bake 1 hour 25 minutes or until golden and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.