Smooth, rich, spicy eggnog is an American holiday tradition.
4 tablespoons sugar
4-6 ounces bourbon
10-12 ounces milk
4 ounces heavy whipping cream
1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
1/4 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- Separate the eggs and place the yolks in a mixing bowl. Set the egg whites aside for later.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until the mixture is thick and full.
- Add the bourbon, milk and cream; whisking lightly as you go. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer at medium-high speed, whip the egg whites until they thicken in volume and form soft peaks. (When you turn your whisk or beater upside down, peaks form but soon melt back into themselves. The peaks do not hold for long.)
- Fold the egg whites into the bourbon mixture, then gently whisk together to mix well.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving. Serve in a roly poly or punch glass.
- Garnish with a dusting of nutmeg.
Experiment with the spirit. I prefer bourbon, but feel free to use a rye or rum.
I gave a range for how much bourbon to use because I prefer a bit more, but others may not. So start off small and add more if desired. If you add more bourbon, you may also want to add a little more milk for the right consistency.
Mixed eggnog will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Keywords: Eggnog, Holiday Drinks, Holiday Cocktails, Fall Drinks, Christmas Cocktails, Thanksgiving Cocktails, Mad Men Cocktails, 1960's Cocktails, Mid Century Cocktails, 1950's Cocktails, 1970's Cocktails