2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons canola oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup burgundy wine, or red cooking wine
3 cups water, more if needed during cooking
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 medium carrots, sliced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1 - 14-1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil.
- When meat is browned, add minced garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add water, potatoes, onions, peas, carrots, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in bouillon and tomatoes. Move to preheated 350 degree oven and bake, covered, for 1 hour.
Serve with loaf of hot French bread and a side salad, if desired.
- Substitute 3/4 cup pearl barley for the potatoes if desired
- Add 1 rib of chopped celery with the vegetables, if desired
- Substitute beef broth for red wine if you prefer
- Add 4 ounces of sliced fresh mushrooms when you add the tomatoes and bouillon if you'd like
Keywords: Beef Stew with Wine, Red Wine Beef Stew, Cold weather dinners, soup and stew dinners, comfort food dinners, old fashioned dinners