These thin brownies with a thick fudge frosting are a chocolate treat that can be shared with friends and family.
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks (8 tbs ea.) butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
6 tablespoons milk
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and sugar together and set aside.
2. Add 2 sticks of butter, 4 tablespoons of cocoa and 1 cup of water to a saucepan. Mix and heat over medium heat just until it begins to boil. Add to flour/sugar mixture and mix well.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk and stir. Mix in with the flour mixture.
4. Add eggs, baking soda and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to batter and combine well.
5. Pour batter in a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes.
1. While brownies are baking, melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of cocoa and 6 tablespoons of milk and mix well.
3. Remove from heat and stir in 1 pound of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of pecans. Apply frosting on brownies as soon as they are removed from the oven.
For best results use a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan to bake brownies
Margarine can be substituted for butter
Walnuts or other nuts can be substituted for pecans in the icing, or you can eliminate the nuts altogether
If you prefer a thicker layer of icing, double the icing recipe
Keywords: Brownies, Fudge, Chocolate, Jelly Roll Pan, Vintage Brownie recipe, iced brownies, fudge brownies, 1950's brownies, 1960's brownies